View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mary Kay (PERetired) hospitalized

Yesterday afternoon while at our daughter's place in San Jose Mary Kay had what appears to have been a stroke. She got to the hospital very quickly and they started running tests. The symptoms were slurred speech and lack of control on left jaw and arm and hand. After they did the MRI which was normal they decided to discharge her.

As she was dressing to leave she had another attack! They admitted her immediately and began to run some more tests. Today they completed the tests and all were negative. So they actually discharged her this afternoon.

She will stay overnight at our daughter's and my brother, Larry, and her brother, Greg, will go to San Jose and bring her and her car home.
After some thinking and rethinking I decided to not add to her stress. If I were to drive home I could very well cause more stress for her. She would probably be worrying about me the whole drive home.

Anyway she should be home tomorrow evening. I have talked with her several times and she sounds great! I think she may have been given a warning. Hopefully the meds and the reduced stress will keep her from having any further such events.

Our goal is still to see everyone at the Quartzsite gathering this coming January.

Dennis

UPDATE:
It is Friday evening about 6pm. Just got off the phone with Mary Kay. She is on her way home. Her brother is bringing her home. She will be home in a little over an hour.

We want to thank everyone for their obvious concern and caring. The MOC family is simply the BEST!

It is absolutely frightening to get "THAT" phone call. I can only imagine how scary it must have been from Mary Kay's point of view.

As my brother described his stroke. He could feel the arm going numb from the fingers up and he had no idea where or when it would stop! He could only say a few words and they were not the ones he needed to explain his situation. Fortunately the folks he was with guessed what had happened and got him to hospital within an hour or just a little over. Thankfully he had a 99.9% recovery and it appears Mary Kay will be in that same range!

We are truly blessed.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote