Thread: 3rd AC
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #28
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsch View Post
So I called Keystone today and spoke to one of the people in production. He said while the coaches are wired for three air conditioners, they are not capable of running all three at the same time.

Here is what I found out:

The coach is wired for a third air conditioner that is non ducted (dump only). The power wiring and thermostat wire are both in the outlet next to the fan unit that will be replaced by the new air conditioner. The other end of the thermostat wire is routed to the rear of the existing wall thermostat in the main living area. I was told the added unit can be a 15,000 BTU.

Camping World made a call to Dometic (existing units are Dometic) and they were recommended the Blizzard NXT unit. The unit that was quoted with all necessary hardware installed was quoted at $1,700.

So my plan is to add the third unit. I will then check all of the ducting of the existing units. I will open any collapsed duct and aluminum tape all points of intake. After that I will cut down or replace all duct vents and seal with aluminum tape. I also plan to add at least two additional vents in the bedroom, maybe four if there is room. I am also going to add two, possibly four, in the living room. I am also going to look into blocking the furnace vents and the vents under the stairs. I will make them easily removable, but I doubt I will ever use the furnace. We have the fireplace and the heat pump in one of the A/C units, witch are more than enough heating for my wife and me.

I know this seems like overkill, but I hate being hot.

Also, according to Keystone the info given by bshgto is the only way to run all of the A/C's at the same time.

Thank you to all who have added their experience to this issue.
Before you go chopping up your rig, your A/C duct works on pressure. The entire duct system must pressurize before any air will come out. if you chop more holes than the fan can fill, you will see a decrease in flow from your system.
I would probably try adding one of the portable ones that sit on the floor and exhaust through a flex vent in a window if it was that darned hot.

Mark