View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #10
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
I bought my unit new in January. From day 1, I had intermittent wiring fault messages on my Ford truck. Occasionally, I would find that I had no braking on the trailer.

These messages are an indication that something is wrong in the trailer braking or there is a bad ground. Since the lights all worked fine, grounding wasn't the issue.

I have three other equipment trailers that use the same plugs on my truck and none of them generated wiring faults. This made it clear to me that the problem was on the Montana.

I took the trailer to the dealer three times. Every time, they hooked the static trailer up to a tester or even a truck and of course, they had no issue. I advised them, time and again that they needed to take the trailer on the road and they needed to inspect the wheel brakes. They did not.

Finally, I got the trailer back and took the brake drums off myself. This is what I found:

One brake had no issues.
One brake, the adjuster was not connected and fell out of the drum
One brake had chafed and disconnected wires
One brake had chafed wires

So, there were intermittent shorts from the factory, and the one brake wasn't installed correctly.

I am mad at the dealer for not listening and I'm handling that locally.

The bigger problem is the way the brakes and wires were assembled at the factory. This is a safety issue. I would definitely recommend that your next PDI on any Thor product include an inspection of the brakes and wire routing. It just blows my mind that they get away with this level of quality.

I did file a complaint with the NHTSA. I would recommend others that find brake issues, such as these, do the same.
I have stated before, the RV industry is BEGGING for regulation. I despise governmental regulation but it's time the RV industry gets a set of standards they must maintain.

Mark