Thread: Black tank info
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #66
lenlin84
Established Member

M.O.C. #7530
Hey this has been a very interesting thread. We have an '03 3255RL Monty that had the bathroom gray tank leak. Gray water running out like a river from an 8 inch crack in the bottom of the tank. Make a long story short, we had the grey tank replaced and all was well. The question of tank support became the reason the tank failed to begin with. When the manufacturer sent the new tank out, they strongly advised that all tanks should be supported and they tell the RV manufacturers that but they don't do it nor did they send the strap kit with the tank. I solved the problem by retro-fitting straps to all tanks. the black tank was sorta-kinda supported but it was a joke. They put a piece of angle iron under the tank but it only touched the bottom of the tank in one spot just waiting to wear a hole in the tank, plus the supporting bar was level but the bottom of the tank is sloped. Anyway the fix went this way, I bought four 1x6 boards, covered them with some scrap indoor/outdoor carpet(anti-chaffing) and put one under each tank. They were held up by lengths of plumbers strapping hooked to excisting structure, front to back. I used one turnbuckle per strap to keep a little tension on the tank. That gave the tank good support on the belly of the tank and took the stress off of the upper support flange. No more worries about tanks not supported! unfortunatley, I didn't take any pictures to post, so you'll have to use some imagination here to visualize it.
lenlin84 is offline   Reply With Quote