Thread: Motorcycle Lift
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
CUFANS,

I'm going to assume you were able to use the search in this Forum, for Motorcycle. After reading the two pages there you have decided to go forward with your idea.

Stiles is right on the money with his comments. If your going forward, I would like to suggest doing a little more calculating. Lets look at a couple of things.

If the Bike weighs say 750 lbs. and we keep the weight down by using a ramp with a fixed carrier to save some weight, rather than a Hyd/Elect lift. We might be at about 900 to 1000 lbs. added to the rear of your Rig. This weight is unloading the weight on your pin. You can and should calculate this loss of pin weight. The lost pin weight and the added Bike with carrier weights all winds up on your 5ers axles. In this case it might add 1500 lbs. to your axles. Do you have 1500 lbs. of capacity to give up? Need to find axle ratings to see.

You could off-set the loss of pin weight by welding new spring shackles on and moving the axle rearward, but you now need new wheel wells and if for some reason you wanted to tow with out the Bike you've got way too much pin weight.

Stiles wrote about cantilevered weight. In this case the new over hung Mass is in motion. The inertia of this Mass can easily double the load of the Bike on to your 5ers frame. Now your axles might see an additional 3000 Lbs. or more than it has ever seen before.

Bottom line, can it be done? Yes. After years in Structural Eng.in the AeroSpace Bus. I could never give up on an idea. Sometimes to my detriment, but I do love a challenge.

Above all please do your homework. This is serious business. Lives could be lost.

Wish you well
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote