Thread: New guy here!
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
Son of JVP
Established Member

M.O.C. #8249
Thanks all for the welcome. I'm looking forward to learning how to best help the folks take care of their trailer, especially the "make sure you always --- " "watch out for --- " and "don't ever --- " type of tips.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Just too bad your folks won't be able to tow that nice Montana all over the country.
They don't feel bad about it. They realize that they're at the age where it's too much work and too scary to drive a big RV amongst all the traffic. My mom hasn't driven in years.
But they've been RV'ing since 1966 and they've been all over the U.S. and Canada. I have lots of childhood memories of desert sunrises, national parks, thunderstorms, freight trains, campfires, and wildlife. Two adults and 3 kids (I was the youngest) living in an 11-foot slide-in camper for a month! My brother and sister would sit in the middle on the bench seat and I'd sit on my mom's lap, and I don't think we ever wore seat belts. My grandparents lived in Colorado, so we'd always go there every summer, and we'd try to take a different route there each year. I remember one time driving through southern Wyoming and seeing a police car on the shoulder with its lights on. As we pulled up, the state patrolman flagged us down. He came up to the window and said, "We're having a chuck wagon barbecue, would you like to join us?" Some of you may remember the days when people were hand feeding the bears at Yellowstone through their car windows. Yep, we did that! I remember my dad changing a flat tire in the pouring rain on Red Mountain Pass in Colorado, and hitchhiking with a gas can in eastern Utah! Then there was the time in Reno when we asked a gas station owner if we could park for the night behind his gas station. It was on a busy, noisy main street right in the "strip" area with all the neon lights. My folks didn't realize that the Southern Pacific main line tracks were only a few feet away on the other side of the fence! I can remember hearing my folks complaining that a campground was charging them $8 for a night. Any of you remember back when it seemed like the normal price for a campsite was $4 to $6? And you almost never had to make reservations because the campgrounds were never crowded? Times have changed, but my folks have all those experiences and memories, and they have no regrets of giving up the road. And besides that, now they can take advantage of the flight benefits through their granddaughter.
Andy
Son of JVP is offline   Reply With Quote