View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 03:48 AM   #38
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have used the same procedure for years and (knock on wood) have not lost an awning yet. On the manual we used the de-flappers in addition. On the electric de-flappers cannot be used. We use the ratchet type straps (two on each corner - one on roller tube and one on awning arm) and the screw in anchors are set at 90 degrees separation from each other at both corners of the awning (one extended out from the awning corner perpendicular to the rig and the other extended out from the awning parallel to the rig). I have springs that connect the tie-down strap to the screw anchors. We have endured 20-25 mph hour winds at the beaches with no problem, but if I see the spring travel an inch, the straps come off and the awning comes in. We do not leave the awning extended when we are not at the rig since beach thunderstorms can come up quickly. This is not intended as a recommendation for others (as always, do what you are comfortable with), but rather as experience and the success thereof. I will say that one time when excessive winds arose, the electric awning on the previous rig (3750FL) sat down (awning arms retracted themselves is the best way I can explain it) to a 45 degree angle which obviously rendered the tie-down straps inoperable. I believe that all of the electric awning are equipped with this feature, but I cannot confirm that. I would not be comfortable at the beach without the awning tied down in some fashion since the winds are usually pretty steady.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote