View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 12:31 AM   #7
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbolt View Post
i am leaning on going with a 12 volt wall wart style power supply i will be able to use a voltage regulator to drop down to 3 volts to power the thermostat and eliminate the batteries, and then use the 12 volts to power the relays. i have looked around my unit and didnt see a 12 volt circuit there already so power supply it is lol...

the above is half the reason i want to use 12v. the other half is that the 12v bosch style relays i plan on using will more than handle the current, and their biggest benefit is that they are easily and cheaply sourced at absolutely any auto parts store.

typically the hunter home thermostats have dry contacts that simply open and close to provide switching it doesnt really care what flavor the voltage running through the switches is, as long as it is low current.

i just gotta figure out how to package everything up plug and play so that it looks and operates like it was meant to be there from the beginning.

i will be ordering the receptacles and hope they are the right ones being the originals dont have part numbers on them.
Check eBay for the Bosch style relays. You can buy them in bulk (5 or 10) WITH sockets for cheap! I always have a few around.

You’re comfortable switching 120 VAC with them? Guess 30 amp is 30 amp, but I’ve never used one for line voltage. I guess I never checked the ratings.

I could also point you to a 120 / 240 VAC 2 pole contractor with a coil voltage of you’r choice for about 30 bucks brand new. Not positive about 12 volt tho... but for sure 24 V either A/C or D/C.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote