View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Betty,
I had my left one done in May 2007. You will have the shoulder harness/sling and pillow that fits on your hip for at least 1 week. On my two week check up I asked if I could drive. Doctor made a few rotations with his hand and arms and said yes, as it was good therapy. My doctor is Dr. O'Neil, Houston (Clear Lake) Texas and he is the orthopedic surgeon who takes care of all the athletes in this area. There are pictures galore on his walls of autographed pictures of atheletes he has treated. So to say that I have to say that he is an agressive therapy type doctor. Four to 5 weeks after surgery I was back on my motorcycle, but that's another story for another day.

Every individual is different. Some recover faster than others. Some need more pain killers than others. My pain threshold is such that I do not take novacain or any type anesthesia when I have to have a tooth filled. So my use of the hydrocodone was minimal. I will say this, if you take a pain killer, take it about 1 hour before you go to therapy. Therapy is going to hurt, but the end results are well worth it. I am glad that I had the surgery. I do not have any pain in the left shoulder anymore. The right one? Well, it needs surgery also. I have also had my right knee replaced, and I need the left one done. I can't wait to go through airport security sometime in the future.

Yes! Rotator Cuff surgery is an invasive process. It will be painful but you will be happy with the end results. Do whatever the doctors and therapists tell you to do. Do it as many times as they tell you to do. Don't do it less, and don't do it more. Whatever they have you do at the therapy sessions, do at home, or what ever they suggest that you do at home. Continuing the therapy at home is one of the most challenging and difficult things to do. After all, who wants to do something that hurts.

As each day goes by, you will get a little better, and hurt a little less. The biggest milestone for me was being able to reach up and wash my head and the little hair I have. Today, I can easily reach back and interlace my fingers behind my head with no pain whatsoever in my left shoulder.

Good luck. It will be worth it.

Prayers don't hurt either. So I'll send some.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote