View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #21
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
@topjustice, honestly one reason is just my truck now has 100K miles and I really like the 2017 ones (I do love my truck though - very happy with it). But on a more serious note, the sticker on the inside of my door says my maximum cargo weight is 2932Lbs. When I first read this I was a little disappointed, but it is a crew cab, long bed, with 4 wheel drive, all things which I believe reduce your cargo capacity. Now factor in my weight, wife, kids, and stuff we carry in the truck, what is left for the pin weight of the 3791RD is probably around 2,200Lbs. Keystone lists the pin weight on a 3791RD as 2945, and I have to assume that is a dry weight pin weight in which case when loaded with your stuff its probably even higher. Best scenario possible (but unlikely) you are maxed out. Worst scenario is you are over your weight limit in the bed by perhaps as much as 1000Lbs.

Now I have towed our 3791RD with our truck, and it was fine. The bed did not seem to sink down much more than our previous and lighter Montana Mountaineer (its probably 2000lbs less than our new rig). I am concerned though that I may not be able to break as fast as I would like or control the weight of the unit as much as I would like. In a few weeks we have a trip over our mountains (US2 to Wenatchee) and it will be interested to see how the truck controls the Montana over Stevens pass.

So having a DRW should put the weight of the pin easily into the allowed range, giving me some piece of mind. Swapping your truck is not an option for everyone, I was surprised what the KBB value of my truck is, and if I can get a good interest rate on a new one, we can make the switch.

Hope this helps - I am sure others will weigh in on this. All good info for you to consider.
Chris
ExPatNW is offline   Reply With Quote