View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:41 PM   #22
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Your right AL,

There are actually many manufacturers out there making Toy Haulers and they have a lot of takers. We have looked at many over the past 10 or more years and they all seem to have the same draw back. They don't have that residential feel. When your sitting in the living room area we really feel enclosed because of the solid back wall between the garage and the living room. Unless you go to a high dollar unit like Alfa, you really don't get nice interiors like we have either.

The other issue is length. Imagine adding another 10' of length to your rig. Now that would be a load, and now think about what 10' would you guys would be willing to give up in your rig. I'd bet your not ready to give up an inch of your beautiful Monty.

We have had to make the best compromise for us, which is our wonderful floor plan with a residential feel and loading the bike in the Truck bed.

Actually it's not too bad a deal. I mounted a winch in the front of the Truck bed. I purchased an 8' long piece of 12" x 1/2" thick channel Aluminum, made and attached a steel lip which gets pinned to the rear of the bed, and use two 2"x12"x8' wood ramps also pinned to the bed. I straddle the bike and have the Alum. ramp take the weight of the Bike and use the wood ramps for my feet. The winch pulls me right up into a cradle I made which is bolted to the bed and the Bike locks into it. I think I could roll the Truck and the Bike would stay in the bed. Don't want to find out though. "LOL" I have used this ramp & cradle in both the last two Trucks with a couple of different Bikes since 1988. So far so good. I use the Armor All Car Wash Wipes when we arrive at our destination and in just a few min. we're ready to ride.

This turned out to be the best of both worlds for us. Our love for RVing and our passion for Motorcycles which goes back over 30 years now. In case your wondering, yes we have managed to keep the Bikes shinny side up and the rubber side down for over 300,000 total mi. in about 40 States, 5 Can. Provinces and Mexico.

Hope to meet you at the 05 Rally,

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote