View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #19
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
This can be a touchy subject. When I drove a semi, unless I knew that the spotter was experienced, I preferred to get out and look myself. We even had that decal on our mirror -- GOAL (Get Out And Look).

Numerous times at truck stops I saw drivers back into other rigs or stationary objects because they were relying on someone else to guide them into a spot.

As for hitching up, I lower the tailgate, back the truck up within ten inches or less from the 5er hitch, then get out and go to the rig and adjust the landing gear to hook up. From the side of the 5er I can eyeball the 5er hitch and I raise/lower it until it is about 1/2" above the 5th wheel plate. Then I just back the truck up into the 5er and she locks up just fine. Same thing for unhooking. Once I get to where I want to unhook, I unplug the 7 pin and safety cable, then start raising the 5er until I can see a 1/2" gap between the pin and plate, then pull out from under it.

IMO, trying to hook/unhook with her assistance would be more frustrating.

I do use her backing up though -- primarily when I am backing straight in and she let's me know how much farther to come back. She knows to be in my mirrors so I can see her. I don't have her tell me how much to cut the trailer or stuff like that. Her signals are pretty much either "come back" or "stop".

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote