Thread: Heat pump issue
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Heat pump issue

Hey gang,

I'm not seeing anything like this in my search, so I'll post a new thread.

I have a 2018 3950BR. 4 months old, so still under factory warranty. The living room AC is the heat pump unit, controlled by the primary thermostat on the wall outside the bonus room. The unit is Dometic, but I don't have the model number as I write this.

We're in the Pacific Northwest. Outside temps have been mid to upper 40's at night. The heat pump has been doing an adequate job of keeping the edge off.

However, several times in the past few days we've woken to a 60 degree rig and the HP wasn't running, despite the thermostat being set to 68 and not showing an error. Today I started paying a bit more attention to it and it seems that sometimes (not every time, yet) it's kicking on, making a low electric/mechanical hum, then turning off.

I'm no engineer, but that seems bad.

The thermostat still doesn't show an error and the other features seem to be fine. (Fan works on the AC unit, furnace controls work. I didn't try the AC, cuz brrr.)

We're full-timing, so getting it into the shop is less than ideal. Before I start hassling with that I was hoping someone here knew a magical fix for this. I can use the furnace, but with the mild weather we usually have up here, I was really hoping to use the heat pump quite a bit.

Thanks,
Jeremy