Thread: RV Rookie
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome, Tom. Every last one of us was a rookie at one time. And some of us, especially me, remain rookies in some areas no matter how much rv'ing we've done.

You are about to start on what might be a wonderful adventure. Or it could be a nightmare. For us, the past 10 1/2 years of traveling this country have been truly magnificient. One of the things we learned early on that I think allowed it to become a success for us was to slow down. We are retired. We're no longer on vacation. We no longer have to rush to get somewhere and once we are there we don't have to see everything there is to see in a week or even two. If we did those things we'd burn out rather quickly. Now we take the time to enjoy the trip and to get to really experience and explore an area. For example, last Spring we left Bishop, CA for Topeka, KS, so to visit kids and grandkids. It took us three weeks to make that trip. A few years ago we planned to spend a month next to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park so we could do the hikes to waterfalls, etc. We enjoyed it so much we extended to seven weeks. We explore/sightsee maybe 3 times per week, leaving weekends to the tourists. What I'm trying to say is don't hurry. Take your time and enjoy it. Make your travel days shorter (we do 150 to 250 miles per day, most of the time). You will figure out what works for you. Enjoy. It's a wonderful lifestyle if you let it be. Good luck to you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote