View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I took a screen shot from your pic to try to blow up the view showing the micro-cracks. I found a lengthy article on a TPO membrane durability study and micro-cracks are mentioned - but it sounds like they are a function of aging and occur in the surface - not all the way thru the membrane. The study noted micro-cracks developing along areas where the installer had folded the membrane during construction, and the surface layer was stressed by the fold. It looks like your cracks occur along a roof edge where maybe the membrane was pulled tight during installation leaving an area under stress. I expect that these micro-cracks will show up in all of our roofs over time. Your solution to clean the area and apply eternabond (or similar) tape over the cracks seems appropriate.

By the way - most commercial TPO roofs are 60 mil thick membranes. I believe the membranes on RVs are 45 mils - but I have never found documentation to confirm that. For weight and cost - 45 mil is probably the right choice for RVs.

Link to the article...http://www.westernroofing.net/TPO_Report.html
And the blow-up detail of the pic - hopefully to make the cracks show up better...
I am 99 percent certain that a 2011 unit does not have a TPO roof. It should be EPDM
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote