View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
RV is coming home today

Well our 5th wheel is coming home today. I've had it in a local shop having my suspension upgraded. We are the 2nd owners of our 2955, I've been afraid of the leaf spring hangers since I bought it about 3 years ago. Last Sept. while pulling off of Hwy. 97 in Oregon a leaf spring pin broke and the hangers on the rear axle bent like paper. Well we mostly boondock and the roads are not exactly smooth. I had my leaf spring hangers boxed in with 1/4" steel plate, 1&1/2" square stock welded from side to side on all hangers except one. It had to be able to be removed in case I ever have to remove the galley tank. So the shop welded a bolt removal on that cross brace. Topped it off with all new brakes, seals and bearings. Learned from the shop that when lubing the wet bolt system, the trailer should be jacked up first. He say's grease will not properly enter if weight is on the bolts. Wife and I are planning a trip to Arizona to try out the new upgrade. I can't believe that they allowed those hangers to ever be acceptable for the weight they support?