Old 04-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #30
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensnel View Post
When you set out to buy a diesel truck it is valuable to talk to someone who sells used ones. They have a unique perspective on how they hold up. My neighbor is in that business. I had no bias among the big 3 as my preference would have been another Mercedes, but they don't make an HD truck for hauling a 5th wheel. My neighbor explained it this way:

Ram: You get that excellent Cummins engine - unfortunately it is in a Ram truck.
Ford: You get that excellent Ford Truck - Unfortunately it comes with the Ford Diesel.
Chevy and GMC: Great engine and Tranny and a great truck. Just buy one!

Expert advice... Decision made!
That is why we have GM running close second. RAM gets extra points for the AISIN tranny. Not a super fan of RAM's mechanicals record outside of the engine bay. Anecdotal tales from mechanic friends tell me the GM is the most reliable, but not by much. RAM gets points for ease of access when repairs needed. Having said all that, any properly equipped vehicle, properly maintained will do the job you ask of it. In our case I like the GM trucks the wife likes the RAM... like I said... depends on the day of the week.
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote