View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #135
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rick,

I hate to step back into this. But you asked, so I will respond.

I don’t really care what Lippert says. I didn’t buy my Monty from them. I didn’t buy my extended warranty from them. And, for all I know, that Lippert statement is equivalent to the things we’ve heard from TV and RV salesmen, about how no matter what we have, we’re good to go, despite the contrary figures printed plainly for inquiring minds to peruse and digest. If you think that a frame problem will only involve Lippert, then by all means, press on and alter your frame. But if it bends, and cracks a wall, floor, cabinetry, glass, or whatever, Lippert will likely tell you to speak to Keystone. I don’t know. I would just feel uncomfortable leaving that vast gray area open.

You actually said that the Lippert guy admitted that connecting more than “several hundred pounds would definitely push the situation into a warranty issue discussion!” Can I rest my case? The “Running Weight” on, say a Harley Soft Tail is 680 pounds. The figure of “several hundred pounds” is supposed to only mean “hitch weight?” How about the INERTIAL MASS of about 800 or more pounds of mass on the rear of a fifth-wheel, driving down a highway at 65 mph? It is that issue that scares the hell outta me. I wouldn’t want to be behind that kluge, no matter what hitch weight it’s got. And I dare say that the makers of ¾ ton pick-ups wouldn’t want to be quoted about the vehicle’s ability to stop, and maybe even handle such a mass. But that’s just me.

Perhaps my use of the term “DOT-Certified” isn’t correct. But the product that Keystone makes is something I’m guessing is registered or licensed with whatever agency or agencies there are to govern who gets to exercise the privilege of driving a vehicle upon the public thoroughfares. Altering that vehicle voluntarily assumes some liability that may make the Keystone “acceptance” null and void. That is what I’m getting at.

I bought this rig from Keystone. And Keystone’s made it abundantly clear, (for those who may have MISSED the absence of a bumper of any sort on the rear of a Monty,) that hitches, (not even for a bicycle, mind you,) go on these things, by design.

And I truly don’t care what Mountaineers have, (no offense to Mounty owners,) since I own a Monty. And I presently can’t look into the future for what may be like so many mid-model features/specs changes that still haven’t happened to the Monty I own. I’m sticking with what the company I bought this from says in the heretofore-public list of FAQs, as quoted.

If Keystone responds to my question, and turns it around, saying that such modifications are fine with them, (provided they’re within the TV’s weight limits, I’m sure,) then I’ll admit that my opinion was incorrect. And I don’t believe that that’s “self-serving,” because I asked the people who will be the ones that will determine the coverage for possible future troubles.

We have people with frame problems who are totally innocent of fiddling in any way with the stress and strain on their Monties. Personally, I wouldn’t wish to place myself in what I sincerely feel is the jeopardy of straining the frame to a point where it could simply let go…Possibly in front of other innocent travelers.

And when I see someone headed to what I feel is a dangerous situation, or doing something that my own common sense tells me can place others in a dangerous situation, I just have to do something. In this forum, I posted my concerns. And, like you seem to feel, I now to have to defend them against what is obviously an unreasonable amount of resistance. Why you are so upset over others openly not wishing to step into that zone, I’ll never know…I’ll leave that mystery to Wrenchtraveller. He’s enjoying delving into it, way too much. I just don’t know why you can’t just take others’ concerns with a grain of salt, as I do, because you seem readily prepared to defend your choice. People who come out of nowhere and claim to have been “attacked” make me sick.

But, as I’ve said…that’s just me.

And I’m with the sensible others. I WAS enjoying the original exchange of ideas. I stated my opinion, just as others had done. And looked forward to hearing more. Because I will admit to not knowing it all. And I leave myself open to learning things that could even prove a deeply held belief to be untrue. It’s one reason I don’t feel the need to defend my opinions, until someone comes out to whine about my having stated them freely.

If someone can’t stay away from trying to silence others’ opinions, I suggest they simply disregard the thread.

I still don’t really CARE what you do with your own Monty. And whether you appreciate the fact that I personally wouldn’t do it, or not. I just hope you’ll be fine.

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote