View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Larry,
I have had the surgery on the left shoulder. I don't remember being in the "pillow" sling but for only a short time, like maybe 2 weeks at most. The first week or so is the worst. You can only begin to imagine the pain when the therapist starts moving, stretching, and generally causing pain when they do it. After about the 1st week you, if you are like me, will be on your own and they will just monitor you. If you are having a specific problem with one of the exercises do not hesitate to ask them for help. They may hurt you a little more by stretching you more, but the end results will be worth it. As for driving - can you think "one-handed" (in the car or truck)? I have had my left shoulder rotator cuff repaired, and my right knee replaced. In both cases I was driving in a very short time with doctor's permission. Actually, in the rotators cuff scenario when I asked if I could drive, he looked at me, then made a steering wheel motion with his hand and arm, and said, "Yes, that would be good therapy." But, I have an aggressive bone surgeon.

I'll be having my right shoulder done sometime in the next two months. typically when I see my doctor he schedules me real quick. I guess my insurance company pays up fast. Some time in the next year I have to have the left knee replaced.

Oh well! There is an alternative to growing old.

Good luck to you.

p.s., I also have full range of motion in my right arm, but it hurts like the devil if i'm just sitting still, or letting it hang by my side.

Oh! as for typing, you will be able to move the fingers with the pillow sling. Your elbow and forarm will be resting on about an 8 inch thick pillow with a sling. If your fingers can reach the keyboard you'll be able to type. Well, I could.

As stated - the end results are worth it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote