Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Lee & Sue! You are probably doing the smart thing by researching these things first. Keep in mind the following are just my opinions. Others may disagree and hopefully will jump in and say so in that case.

Trucks. I think you'll find there are several options here. First, you need either a 3/4 ton or 1-ton truck. A half ton just isn't a safe option, at least for the Montana fifthwheels. I've been very pleased with the Fords. The 2005 models have tow ratings to 17,000 lbs in the 1-ton models and 16,500 for the 3/4 ton. Ours is rated for 15,400 towing and 23,000 gcwr. Some go to 23,500 gcwr in the new Fords. But the GM's and Dodge do a good job, too.

Diesel. Any of the current diesels do a great job. That includes the Dodge Cummins, the GM Duramax, and the Ford 7.3L and 6.0L Powerstroke diesels.

Gas. The Ford V10, the GM 8.1L, and the Dodge V10 (have to go used with that one, they don't put it in the new ones) are all known to do a good job. Probably some older engines, too, but I don't know much about them. The above engines have HP and Torque curves suitable for heavy towing with the peak values at a usable rpm level.

If you go 1-ton, then there's the question of single rear wheel or dually. My opinion on this is get whichever you're more comfortable with. You'll find proponents of each on this forum and I think both are right, neither are wrong. We tow with a single rear wheel and are very comfortable with that, having towed the current Montana about 25k miles and prior FW's probably another 15k or so. Other folks fell the dually has more stability in crosswinds, etc., but I've never felt an unstable moment. Again, go with your preference on this item.

Fifthwheels. If you read through this forum I think you'll see why we love our Montanas.
And how the manufacturer stands behind the product, which is very, very important to those of us living in these things on the road. Montana has been the number one seller in North America for three years in a row. I think they're leading again this year although I've not seen numbers in awhile. But they are number one and you know there's a reason for that. Any brand could lead for one year but you don't sustain that kind of sales and loyalty if you don't have a great product. "Bang for the buck" is what I hear most often about Montana.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions you like, even the hard ones. You'll find in this forum we talk about problems freely and openly. And please let us know what you decide, even if you go with a different brand.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote