View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave View Post
Hi All:
The 12 volt system in my 2013 Montana RE 3800 does not work when not plugged in to shore power. I have a RVI Progressive PD 4590 Power control centre. I have 2 new 6v deep cycle batteries ( thinking this was my problem ) ( Delco 6v deep cycle 845A batteries ). I believe I have checked breakers and fuses. The Power Control PD 4590 was replaced Feb 2016 by a certified RV tech in Penticton, BC.
I have nearly always operated my slides and leveling system when attached to shore power. If I unplug from shore power all I get is a "click" when trying to operate leveling system.
I am stuck here in Oliver, BC. Trying to get across the border and to our winter haunts in Apache Junction, AZ. It is getting COLD here.
I have spent some time at the Montana Owners Club web site but am confused. Thank you for any help.
Special hello to H John Kohl. Thank you for your kindness.
Golfer Dave
Golfer Dave: My suggestion to you would be to follow these steps in diagnosing your problem.
1) Disconnect your batteries and determine the voltage at the batteries, if they are wired properly as in "series" you should have at least 12.8v between the neg post on one battery to the positive post on the other.
2) Check all connections at and from the batteries, ie: to the circuit breakers, the ground cable, and circuit breakers to the pump solenoid.
3) Ensure the battery disconnect switch is in the "on" position, this means the key cannot be removed.
4) Check the 4 - 25 amp fuses in the converter, these are reverse polarity fuses to protect the converter should the batteries be improperly connected.
5) While plugged into shore power, check the voltage at the large terminals in the converter that lead to ground and your batteries. You should have at least 13.2 volts there, this voltage might be higher depending on what charge state the converter is in. This voltage will be present regardless of a connection to the batteries, for instance if the disconnect switch is in the "off" position (key can be removed). Assuming the 4 - 25 amp fuses are good this will tell you if you have a converter issue.

More often than not the problem turns out to be a grounding or connection problem, however taking these steps will help determine other possible issues.
Good luck, hope you are able to get on the road before the forecast snow hits the area.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote