View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
grumbolt
Established Member

M.O.C. #22670
@montana man yeah i agree, i have the tank looking pretty good now and there is 25 gallons of water in it for the 48 hour soak test.

well i drained the tanks better (lowered the front of unit so all residual could drain out and left the valves open for a day or so with a bucket under it....

and went about getting ready to see exactly what was goin on with it...

after cleaning up the area and disinfecting it so that i felt comfortable working in and around the area (bleach and alcohol applied separately are your friend) i set about figuring out what was going on with it.

it seems the dealer i bought the unit from had patched the cracked tank with hot melt glue and then ensured the tank remained empty until delivered.

removing the hot melt glue was not that big of a problem being that it does not bond well with abs plastic, so off it came!

after removing all the foreign material i found a crack about 3 inches long at the bottom of the bell of the tank and i noticed the tank thickness at that point was thinner than on the side or the bottom.

i went ahead and drilled a little ahead of the splits and then opened up the crack to the drilled hole and left it to air dry while the materials i needed to order arrived.

i ordered medium black abs cement from amazon, and ordered abs plastic resin pellets (fine) from ic 3d. this product is typically used in 3d abs printers that use resin instead of filament. the resin is nothing more than plastic pellets.

i also picked up a gallon of acetone, and some coarse fiberglass window screen from lowes

i already had a large medical irrigation syringe (no needle) and various brushes.

after they arrived i proceeded to patch the tank with the following pic showing the end result...

i have no leaks and the repair is stronger than a new tank would be.
while i was in there repairing the black tank, i also reinforced the forward grey tank in that area (oddly enough it felt thinner in that area as well)

i found a video on you tube that set me on this path, i used it as a loose guide. if there is interest ill find it again and post a link and describe how i repaired my tank.

happy trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank 3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	2815  
grumbolt is offline   Reply With Quote