Thread: Changing a Flat
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tire changing is another one of those personal preference, controversial subjects. Having changed tires on the rig, I will relate the procedure that I have always used. I always carry crib blocks in the truck bed with me. The occasions that I have had to change a tire (flat or otherwise), I use the crib blocks to support the frame. I jack the frame in the area closest to the flat and then add the crib blocks to support the frame. I then move the jack beneath the spring hanger of the axle to jack up the tire to be removed. Do not put the jack on the axle tube as it can bend very easily. I also use a bottle jack but it is only about six inches high when retracted fully and I suspect that your jack will indeed be too tall. If you measure the height to the spring hangers and then subtract the tire profile, you will be in the ballpark of whether your jack will go beneath it. After changing the tire, I then lower the jack and move it back to the frame to raise it to remove the crib blocks. I will say that I have to use crib blocks under the jack as well to reach the frame. I believe the above is the recommended procedure, and I know that I am comfortable with it. Hope it helps.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote