View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #28
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
I am going to try to not get too political here.

Every day, we get reports and articles in the news media about things in our modern culture and modern world that are about to kill us - like movie popcorn. If you listen to the stories the words are always "reported to" "might increase" "many scientists believe" etc. It is part of the syndrome Michael Crichton called the "State of Fear." I must agree with the point that trial lawyers tend to encourage this state.

I do not want to underestimate the discomfort many have experienced to the exposure to high levels of chemicals from new building materials, but I feel the risk is being overblown. We are voicing a fear of it, when many of us are quite willingly taking on the risk of using tobacco products or driving the highways, risks that are quite well known and documented not just in the news media.

Should the RV industry take steps to reduce the amount of chemicals that can be emitted from newly constructed rigs? Probably. Is it a severe problem that hasn't been around for quite a while? Maybe not. Medically, these things depend on dose and duration of exposure.

One thing that you can be sure of is that the fix will cost us all more money the next time we buy a rig and I know many of us will be complaining about that.
one_strange_texan is offline   Reply With Quote