Thread: RALLY NOTES:
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I think it worth saying that the prices that some got at the rally were special pricing. To get the price, ya gots ta go!
I learned tons. Here's some:
Dometic - I learned how the fridge actually works and that it wants to be stored level +/- 3 degrees, so the trailer must be leveled in storage. Adding bug mesh to the fridge air venting seriously affects its heat transfer capabilities. There is a switch in the top of the unit that actuates a heater for the fascia of the fridge/freezer to prevent frost, but it doesn't shut off when you shut off the fridge, so it can drain the battery if not shut off separately. I learned how to do basic service on the AC unit. I learned exactly what parts I need to add a second AC. Anybody interested in these can message us. Also, it turns out that our Monty's ductwork is available at the front AC position. I learned how to clean the awning. Dometic also upgraded our electric awning arms from fixed length to adjustable (I have yet to install the parts).
Dexter - I bought brake kits, self-adjusting and got a lesson on how to install them. I bought wet-bolt kits, then learned later that I have to get an important part from Mor/Ryde! Mor/Ryde says they'll ship the parts to me.
Mor/Ryde - I learned how the suspension works. By pre-arrangement, Mor/Ryde swapped out our pin-box rubber (#5) for a more compliant one (#4), since our actual load is at the bottom of the range of the #5 and is more in the range of the #4.
Lippert - They seem to make a pretty good product, but I am leery that their manufacturing inspection might miss catch problems with welds that may be invisible to eyeball inspection. I think that they could improve this considerably.
Getting tired of typing, off to bed, BUT

Dave (exnavydiver) gave an excellent presentation on fire safety in the RV, including hands-on operation of fire extinguishers to extinguish a real fire. I was surprised about how well fire extinguishers work, but Dave emphasized that running away is the first option and fighting the fire is the second option, to be tried only if you're already clear of the fire. You've only got 20 seconds!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote