View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
denandannie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11789
I Nearly Had a Heart Attack

We were returning from an eight week trip, going west on I 70 when I exited the freeway for fuel. We were near Green River, Utah, and it appeared we were out in the middle of the boonies. I looked for the easiest fuel fill up and saw a trucker's station. I pulled in, got out to refuel, and then was met with a major dilemma. The fuel pump had two nozzles. One for diesel and the other for DEF. I picked up the green nozzle, thinking it was surely diesel, fiddled around with trying to get my credit card to work and then finally starting to pump fuel. After pumping about a half gallon, it looked like the DEF register was moving, not the diesel fuel register. I panicked. I immediately stopped pumping, put the nozzle back and left. I found another fuel station that was not so confusing and filled my tank.

I was nearly in coronary mode wondering if I had harmed the engine. I was hoping the diesel fuel would dilute the DEF, if indeed I'd pumped some into the fuel tank. Well, we traveled for another few hours before stopping for the night.

In hindsight, I found that had I actually pumped any DEF into the fuel tank, my engine would have been ruined when I started it. Fortunately, I hadn't, but it did make for some anxious moments while continuing west on I-70. If you've been in that area you know that would be one helluva place to break down.
denandannie is offline   Reply With Quote