View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

When I ordered my Montana they would not allow any hitch on the unit. Dealer would not allow any either. If you call Keystone you will find that any hitch will void the warranty on the camper and frame. The frame has more then one year on it. You can check with Lippert about this. Good luck and keep us informed on it please.
This is one perspective. My Dealer actually put the hitch on mine through a subcontract as part of the sale. I've had several communications with Keystone reps and customer service, and Keystone's position on warranty is not quite as harsh as some make it sound.

Essentially you are free to add any accessory you choose, such as hitch, rooftop dish, electric awning, generator, etc. but if it is not installed at the factory, your warranty does not cover the install or damage/failure to other parts of the coach as a result of your installed item. That does not mean your warranty is void.

If the Montana Dealer installs an accessory, the Dealer warrants the install and any resultant damage/failure to the coach as a result of the installed item. Keystone may or may not elect to cover the claim, but the Dealer is obligated.

If a private vendor such as Camping World installs an accessory, Camping World warrants the install and any resulantant damage/failure to the coach as a result of installed item. Keystone may or may not elect to cover the claim, but Camping World is obligated.

Even tires - if you change out your Mission tires to another brand, you are no longer under the factory's warranty envelope when it comes to tires or the damage they may cause as a result of the install, however your coach is still under warranty for factory defect.

Keystone now installs an optional hitch (300lb), and as I understand it, Lippert's frame warranty still expressely prohibits installation of any hitch. Keystone's position is that they themselves are providing warranty to you for your purchase, not Lippert, and Keystone will deal with the suppliers as necessary - not our problem.

With that, it can be done but you assume a lot of costly risk. After understanding the side torque problem from the Lippert Rep, I elected to not do it anymore with such a heavy boat, but I wouldn't hesitate to try toys of the smaller variety (cycles, ATV, bikes, jet skis, Model A Ford)
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote