View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Frame Problems with 06 Montana

I looked around some and didn't find anything that seemed recently relevant, so have started this post.

We just finished a 6500 mile 2-month trip in our 06 Montana 3400RL. As we continued on our trip my wife noticed that the wardrobe drawers (not the chest of drawers) in the bedroom started coming open while we were driving down the road.

When we arrived home, I noticed that all four drawers were open. A quick look showed that the latches at the center of each drawer were not properly aligned with the fixed latching mechanism - I thought I would have the readjust them.

Several days later (after having unhitched) I went out to do the work. Surprisingly, all the drawers latched fine. Upon further inspection I noticed that the wall that separates the TV/drawers from the sliding glass closet was badly broken down at the bottom where it once was connected to the closet floor, and had buckled outward into the closet area.

I pushed the wall back into place, and then hitched up the TV. As my wife lowered the trailer onto the hitch I positioned myself inside the trailer and watched what might happen as the weight was transferred off the landing gear and onto the hitch.

The bottom floor started rising as the trailer was lowered onto the hitch. The floor came up about 1" and again buckled out the wall.

To me this indicates a clear problem with the frame in and around the king pin area. I know there were frame problems with the 04 and earlier models but have not heard about this problem since.

What is the scoop on this issue, and is anyone else beginning to have problems with the 06 models? If problems have been found, where was the damage sustained, and how was it repaired?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote