View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Steve, We did a trip up there in Sept. 08. Actually went from Glacier up through Waterton Park to Banff to Jasper and back through Porthill Idaho. Not sure how much further west you will be traveling in the Canadian Rockies. The part we were in was not too bad but did have some long steep grades north of Banff. Roads were good and the grades were not that much of a challenge but you definitely had to "drive them". The provincial park in Banff, Tunnel Mountain, was an OK park. Nothing special but adequate with full hook ups. It did have a great view of the town. Lots to see and do from the hot springs, to the wilderness loop, to the falls right in town. If you have time take a day trip up to Lake Louise. Beautiful place. On your way back if you have time stay at Waterton Lakes NP (another provincial park) in the town of Waterton. We saw more wildlife inside the campground then anywhere else on the trip. When you plan your trip and see how many days you will spend in the provincial parks it may be cheaper to buy and annual pass. If you have time I really recommend going clear to Jasper. It will give you an opportunity to see the Columbia ice fields as well as Alabasta Falls. If I was to do that trip again I would leave the Montana in Banff and just make it an over night trip. Maybe two nights if you wanted to include Lake Louise in the same trip.
I’m getting kind of wordy in this response but hope the information helps. As you can tell from my response we really enjoyed that trip. Jim