View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #49
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
They are a great engine, so now does it mean they are even better . I drank the blue koolaid with the 7.3, great truck, just not enough power for the bigger fifth wheels .

The 6.7 Powerstroke were never as dependable as the Cummins. The CP4 HPFP in the 6.7 was ,and still can be their achilles heel. It troubles me know that the Cummins went to the same HPFP. Time will tell .

Do a Google search for compacted graphite iron and you will see why it is a better material to make an engine block. To sum up what you will find, it’s much stronger and wear resistance than cast iron. It makes a quieter and has less vibrations than cast iron. It’s just better.

So don’t everybody use it? Simple, it’s much much harder to Machine. Just in the last few years has the tooling and machines been developed to machine it on a production basis. I have a friend who sells machine tools to machine engines. He told me about GGI 30 years ago. At that time a cutter would only bore one cylinder and then it had to be replaced. Since then new grades of carbide and more important new carbide coatings have been developed so it can be machined. Even then speeds and feeds are much slower than cast iron.

As the automotive company’s new engines more will go to CGI. Already the Cummings 6.7 the 3L Diesel Fords 6.7 and 2.7 Ecoboost, tractor trailer engines and others are GGI.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote