Thread: No good tires
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #67
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
I have been one of the ones with a G614 failure,,,during the winter with NO heat involved. It was in January of '18 with a 16 month old tire, on the off door side, with a TPMS and a Georgia State Trooper right behind me. GY stepped up and paid half the retail price for the tire after having to take it to a Goodyear Truck Tire dealer. I was happy they offered to pay, however Sailun will NOT do that. That being said, when these tires are used up or nearing out of date, Sailun tires will be going on my rig. I Carry two spares everywhere I go and the second one is a Sailun now. After years of being on many different forums of trucks and RVs, Sailun has almost cornered the market a with a reliable tire. I just upgraded my axles under my rig after several longs discussions with the spring packs and how they looked, so as soon as I can, I will be upgrading wheels to a #4400 pound variety as well. So the Sailuns will be a good fit for my rig.
That being said, I still believe any tire at any time can let go. With our roads today, God only knows what they've ran over while rolling.
This is not a pro/con post. Just useful info for you and others in this load capacity range.

The LT235/85R16 LRG G614 RST steel cased tires provide a maximum load capacity of 3750# @ 110 PSI. Under the new recommended guidelines from RVIA they would not be on 7000# vehicle certified axles because they do not provide 10% in load capacity reserves above the 7000# axles maximum allowed load.

Size wise, there are few acceptable replacements for 7000# vehicle certified axles. I don't do brands when more than one is available. Here is a short list.

ST235/80R16 LRG = 4080# @ 110 PSI - from the Sailun load inflation chart.
ST235/85R16 LRF = 3970# @ 95 PSI - from the Sailun load inflation chart.
ST235/86R16 LRG = 4400# @ 110 PSI - from the Sailun load inflation chart.
ST255/85R16 LRE = 4080# @ 80 PSI - from the GY load inflation chart.

For a real beefy tire there is the 215/75R17.5 LRG low platform trailer tires rated at 4805# @ 125 PSI. That's also from the Sailun S637 line-up.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote