Thread: newbie
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There's more to a TV beyond the diesel engine and its tranny. Experience tells me that a 1 ton is the way to go for most Montanas. You might be able to get by with SRW versus a dually, but I thought my 3/4 was a fine choice until I went to the scales. The design of the RV puts upwards of 20% or more of the weight on the pin which is carried on the rear wheels. This is where most 3/4 tons fall short.

The RV you like has a GTWR of 15,640lbs. In this case, you might even want to consider a dually, since the RV might have a pin weight as high as 3,900 lbs!

Last time I checked on the new floor plans the RV weights were much more than when I bought my 2006, and my 3006 3/4 ton didn't make it (even with a 10,000 GVWR). And, it's interesting that my 3/4 ton had a higher GVWR than some 1 ton Chevys, GMs, or Dodges of that year.

In the brand new 2011 Ford with 6.7L diesel (4th diesel engine offering in less than 10 years), it's the numbers you want to check - GVWR, FAWR, RAWR, CGVWR. You can put a beast of an engine in your TV, but if the brakes, differential, suspension, axles, wheels and tires can't support the weight, then the engine is a moot point.

Good luck with your selection.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote