View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 04:05 AM   #44
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey all,
Whew, finally found the heat! I'm sitting in a beautiful spot on the Big Cypress National Preserve. It's so lovely and peaceful here, I've greatly expanded my two week vacation...:-) This is my first time in the Everglades, so lots of new things to do and experience. Went on an air boat ride, and drove the "loop" road for some amazing pics of up close gators and wildlife. There is electric hook up only at this park, so I'm learning all about using the fresh water system. One of the campers here said this park has been renovated in the last 1-2 years. They sure did a great job on it. Each site has a grass yard, a palm tree, and built in BBQ. There is a pond in the middle, with gators for good measure...so Molly doesn't get to walk very far after dark...LOL There is a 10 day limit for camping here, and there are only a few openings each morning. It fills back up within a few hours.

I'll have to start the slow drive back home to Michigan on Monday...:-( I'm tempted to just stay down here until spring, but I know thats not very realistic. Maybe next year...:-)

I did have one close call on the way down here from St. Pete. I had filled the fresh water tank 1/3 full in preparation for dry docking. We were in the Naples area, on a boulevard. There was a fair amount of traffic, so thank God I wasn't driving very fast. As I was passing by a mall, a total jerk in a caddy decided to pull out in front of me. That wasn't enough, the approaching traffic light turned to yellow when he was almost under it, and he SLAMMED on his brakes to stop for it. If it were not for my trucking experience, he and his family, and possibly me and mine...would no longer be here. I hit the brakes, but of course with the added weight of the water on board, my stopping distance was greater. I felt the brakes seize up, so I backed off, and went into the right turn lane. Thankfully, no one was there, or coming up along side of me. I'll remember that for a very long time. And that man is probably still walking around with his head up there not even realizing how lucky he and his family are to be alive. Oye, four wheelers can sometimes truly get on my last nerve. Anyway....I'm really likin' the Monty, and just have a few things that need to be addressed when I get back home. So, I'll see how good the dealership is after the sale. Now I'm rambling, so time to close...Peace out.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote