View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #23
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

The demand is very high for diesel fuel; more and more large trucks hauling and less rail movement of goods. With gasoline demand is lower as the cars are more efficient getting 25 to 50 mpg comparing to the 70s when cars averaged 12 to 19 mpg. Lots of hybrids showing up which is hard to do with the diesel engine and electricity (very expensive). Interesting how we take this all for granted until there is a shortage and then we say "what am I going to do"??
Up here Suncore a very large company is down till this weekend with a shortage of hydrogen sulfide. Any time one of these large plants go down it greatly affects the Northwest. Eventually we may be all driving vehicles with gas engines again and pulling 16 foot trailers!!! Think of it; diesel could very well be rationed!
I question you on the rail movement of goods. I know for a fact that rail is moving more goods than ever before right now. There are many reasons for this and one is rail is more cost effective on fuel than trucks. And this comes from Wall Street stats. Warren Buffett bought a lot of stock in the Burlington Northern RR for a good reason. I'm just saying there is a lot of reasons they are raising the price, but I will remain thinking that its just because there is no way to curb them in raising the price. To many in higher places have to much stock in oil to do anything about it. Without getting political on this I will just leave it at that.

Its just to bad that the working people get it once again!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote