View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #93
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I've been rolling this around in my mind since I bought this Ram. We go about 1000 miles to Florida in the winter and make 2 stops on the way. With the travel trailer I'd unhook at the campground and go into town for cheap fuel. My Ram tank is 4 gallons less than the Duramax was, so I don't think I can get to my normal stops now without getting fuel.

I'm trying to decide between the 40 gallon rds tank toolbox combo transfer, the rds tank toolbox combo with pump and nozzle, or just going to truck stops and paying another 30 cents per gallon.

I don't like the idea of cutting into my filler neck for the transfer combo, scared of getting metal shavings in my tank. Does cutting into the filler neck cause a possibility of warranty issues?

The rds tank/toolbox with pump and nozzle costs about $500 more.

The plus of having extra fuel would be I could stay hooked up for our quick overnight stops and get going in the morning quicker, plus the savings on fuel costs. It's going to take a lot of fuel though to overcome the transfer tank price (800) or the pump nozzle price (1300).

I can't make up my mind.
A few years ago when we went full time with our F350/Montana I knew I had to increase my fuel capacity. Looked at all the possibilities since I had a really small tank.

Even being full time we planned on spending 4 winter months stationary in SW Florida, 3 months stationary up north, and then just 5 months actually traveling all over. So in reality I would only need the extra capacity for the 5 months of traveling.

I purchased four 5-gallons diesel cans with ez-pour nozzles. They fit perfectly in a low bed tool box I had and the cost was cheap of course. It took a little more work to add the extra 20 gallons when I needed it but being retired I had all the time in the world.

When we came off the road and bought another house I sold those cans for about half of what I bought them for. I would guess 2 years of having extra capacity fuel on board cost me in the neighborhood of $25 to $30.