View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
wingerphil,

I found the whole piping/regulator system is a bit hard to troubleshoot because there are so many variables all occurring at once. I did find out that one can really draw incorrect conclusions if either one of the check valves in the green knob hose connections gets activated. I found that especially on the remote tank side one needs to open the tank valve very slowly or the check valve will activate. However, I have found that it is beast to not turn on any valve if there are any appliances running such as the burners on the stove, water heater or furnace. This makes things really sensitive. Also the lever on the auto-switchover regulator is supposed to be set to the full tank when any the other runs empty and before a new tank is removed and re-installed. All these restrictions(proper procedures) have me very confused right now because for three years I didn't know these proper procedures needed to be followed. And for three years I just removed an empty tank, had it refilled and reinstalled it and never had a problem later. Then all of a sudden I started having problems. It really has me confused at the moment. It is really hard for me to believe that for three years I never changed a tank when one or more of the appliances was running but I suppose it is possible. And I never paid attention to how fast I turned on a tank valve. I know I wasn't paying attention at all to which way the lever was pointed or looking at the red/green indicator primarily because I couldn't see if it was green or red. Now whether failing to follow the correct procedures eventually caused my problem is an unknown at the moment. Presently one of life's mysteries. I am close to color blind and I never could tell whether the indicator was red or green. Now I use a flashlight on the indicator and I now can see if it is green or red or half way in between. Somehow with all this troubleshooting and replacing of regulators and hoses I am beginning to think I'm making this more complex than it really is. I suspect this will become clear again eventually.

The oil in the black pipe seemed like a real possibility until today when I changed regulators. I was about to install the new auto-crossover regulator when I noticed a black speck on the end of the black pipe brass fitting. I would describe it as maybe roughly 1/8" to 1/4" of irregular diameter and initially looked like a very thin slice of black paint. I tried to retrieve it off the end of the fitting and it disappeared and dropped down below the RV on the ground and I can't find it. I don't know when that speck appeared. I didn't notice it when I removed the old regulator and hose. Whether this showed up during all the disturbance of hooking up the new regulator and associated hoses or was initially there causing the problem or not, just isn't known now. I guess if Marshall tests the old regulator and finds that it is good then this fleck of paint partially blocking the line may have been the real problem. I hate unknowns.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote