View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #19
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829

[/quote]

The very first thing you have to do is change your thinking about RV's in general. You simply can not compare anything about quality or quality control in the auto industry to the RV industry. The second thing you must do is change your thinking about "factory" warranties" on new units.

If you start full timing in a brand new unit there is little chance you will be staying in the immediate area where that dealer is for the entire first year. If your warranty is not needed then all is good. If you need factory warranty then get ready for some possible disappointments, because many other Keystone Montana dealers won't work on your unit once they find out you didn't buy it from them. So good luck with an almost useless factory warranty.

On the other hand if you find a used unit you can purchase an extended warranty. There are many out there and some pretty good ones that are honored nationwide. Dealers won't care where you bought it then.

I owned one used Montana and one new Montana. I never had a single issue with the used Montana while full timing. I had several problems with the new one. I was able to get back to my dealer twice within that first year and they only fixed half the problems. One other Montana dealer simply refused to work on it, and another one looked at it, charged Keystone for looking at it, but said they couldn't fix it.

When it came time to move from fivers to a MH I again started by doing a bunch of research. When I narrowed my search to two brands, then located the 2 year old unit we bought. Now I am part of a different RV brand forum and get to read about how unhappy a bunch of folks are that bought new MH's and spent from $130,000 to $300,000. It is the same story about quality control with new units and the factory warranty not being honored by non-selling dealers. The only difference is the screen names have changed and it is a different brand.

[/quote]

Well stated and on point.

EricHarmon, being new to RVing, when I purchased a new 2015 Montana I approached it with the same perspective as you - comparing apples with oranges. My experience has been very much like JandC has shared with you - numerous bugs with my new new unit, poor warranty experiences with service centers and lots of unit down time and frustration.

If I ever purchase another, it will be a good used one that someone has addressed the warranty repairs and completed the needed upgrades, and will most likely have an Extended Service Plan.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote