View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #11
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Regarding the water heater - Assume you cheked the breaker?

Check the Reset on the Water Heater Thermostat - When you remove the outside cover to the heater, do you see a rubber cover that has 2 reset buttons? If one or both are out, press them back in to reset. If that doesn't fix it, then - Before proceeding turn off the outside electrical switch on the heater and turn off the breaker to be safe.

Check the Continuity of your Element - The heating element will be covered with a rubber cover attached with probably 3 screws. To get to these screws you will probably have to remove the 1" gas tube running to the firebox. Remove the 2 screws attaching the wires to the element. Using a multimeter set it on the lowest ohm setting probably RX10. Touch the 2 probes to the 2 screw holes. if the meter doesn't register max or not at all, your element is bad. There is a number on the side of the element. Give that number along with the model and Ser # on your water heater to your RV Dealer to get a new element. You will need about a 1 1/2 " socket to get the element out. I think they make a special socket just for this. It looks like a thin walled pipe with 2 holes near the back to insert a small screwdriver into. We were wintering in Texas when I bought mine. Think I got it at Camper Clinic after not being able to find one at the Auto Parts. If the element doesn't fix it then -

Replace your thermostat (the unit with the 2 reset buttons). Remove the rubber cover. Remove the termostat. Remove the wires and attach to same connections on the new one.

Good Luck. Heating elements do go bad. I've replaced mine 3 times. The thermostat has a fuse in it that can burn out especially when you have the water heater bypass turned on and fill the unit with water thinking the water heater is full and you turn on the exterrior switch to the heater.

While you have the element out, it is a good time to flush out the sediment from your water heater. Remove the drain plug. Insert a hose into the upper hole where the element was and force the sediment out the drain hole. They sell a plastic wan at the RV Dealer with an angled end to force the water back at you to help forcing the sediment out.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote