Thread: Live and learn
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Can't imagine how it was done before, or should I just say it was a lot of plain old luck. We kinda covered this in another recent topic, but you almost need to plan ahead, then use a photographic map application (I use Bingmaps) to view your planned overnight stay since the person taking the call will say anything to get a room sold and not know what's required, even telling you there is room. As a former RV transporter (we aren't allowed to overnight in a customer's rig) I ran into this many times - what their idea of RV parking is not very accurate, but someone towing a tent trailer overnighted there once so it's good for any other rig, too. Then there's the problem that others have taken those spots, too. Fortunately for me, my loads were no longer than 30', plus my 20' or truck. Another problem I ran into was in one old town where we stayed the power and phone lines were overhead and only about 8' high so we had to avoid them by parking far away and it was pitch black, too. Whew!

It was not unusual to manuever around some tight spots, then hope the next day someone else doesn't block you in.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote