View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #19
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Since the story is so long, i will try to give the short version.

I now have another degree, this time from Axle Univ.

First to answer the part about being over weight.

Montana Hitched to the Tow Vehicle.

Truck Weight 10,840. Withfuel tanks fuel/No passangers.

Trailer Weight 11,200. Tanks dumped.

Truck Unhitched from Montana.

Truck Steer Axle 4,260

Truck Drive Axle 3,880

Gross Truck 8,140

Therefore, if i did this right:

Pin Weight would be 2,700

Trailer Weight would be 13,900.

So it dosen't look "Over Weight" to me.

Tires:

Not balanced at all and one tire replaced. One other tire had 7 1/2 ounces added outside and 1 3/4 ounces added inside to get it balanced. Other tires had weights added, bit more in what the tire guys said was more "normal" for those tires.

Result: When these wear out, i'm moving to G rated tires.

Alignment:

Front Axle had possitive camber in it along with zero degree toe and back axle had zero camber. Toe set and camber back to negative one degree along with toe done.

Wet bolt kit installed along with the Mor-ryde wet bolt shackle and all greesed. The bolts, hangers showed wear after 16,000 miles and plastic shims were worn throught. I took pictures of them just because.

As i was told in an example, if you went to Alaska, first thing to do when you get there is get the axles aligned, then upon return get them aligned again. Reason is because of frost heaves causing the road way to be like a roller coaster in some places which sets up a Porpoising effect which over stresses axles on trailers and bends the axles. You might run into some conditions like this in the US also, and be aware that you might overstress axles with these types of roadways.
Having said that and the fact that i believe the Dexter 7,000 pound axles might be running at about 85% capacity depending on how your unit is loaded, it might behoove you to make sure you don't spring an axle (lose some Camber) if you encounter road conditions that set up a porpoising condition.

Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote