View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntkittle View Post
My husband and I have a 2018 3731FL. We have not had an occasion to boondock yet, but would like to do this in the future. What brand and model of (external) generators do you recommend? We do most of our camping in GA & SC. It’s HOT down here, so we would want to be able to run both A/Cs and it would need to have a 50 A outlet if at all possible.

Tracey if your primary objective is to run both of your AC units I would recommend going with two 2000 watt inverter generators of your brand choice (Honda, Yamaha, etc..). These brands can be run in parallel with an accessory parallel kit. In addition to keep your AC starting current low there are products that are basically starting capacitors that will significantly reduce your AC starting current allowing you to run other electrical equipment while starting the AC unit(s). Micro Air Easy Start is one of these products that I can speak to as I have them installed. I have no further affiliation with product. This setup will allow you to purchase two smaller, less expensive generators. The inverter generator will also provide you with pure sine wave (cleaner power) output suitable for use with sensitive electronics... if that's needed. The two smaller gen sets are much easier to handle, stow and move than a single larger generator. Finally assuming the AC units are the main objective in your generator decision you don't need that large of a generator if you use an Easy Start on each AC unit.

You do not need 5000+ watts to accomplish the above. If you want that fine but don't be mislead to thinking you require it.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote