Thread: Skylight shade
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #31
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Just finished skylight shield project. Here are some pointers I feel made my project sucessfull. 1st, removed skylight so my arms and hands didn't go numb from working over my head. 2nd, use heavy grid sandpaper to sand flange dimbles smooth where velco pads go. Clean off with alcohol. Careful not to get any on skylight. 3rd, install pads in 70 degree temp or in my case I used D.W. hair dryer to heat up flange. The pads are light grip button pads, they came 15 in a pack. I may have done over kill on using all the pads, but no light comes through. 4th,Let velco pads set for 24 hours. It takes that long for the stickem to reach full strenght. Shield is from C.W. the one sold for the door window. I just cut it down, a little over size to fit on flange. Added a very light weight plastic drawer handle so D.W. can put velco apart. D.W. was concerned if she pulled straight down on the handle it might pull thru the shield. She might be right. However, pull the handle 90 degrees towards the center of the skylight, like you are peeling a banana or orange. It works.

Door shield from C.W. $10
Plastic handle from hardware store $1.19
Velco circular pads, don't remember cost, but under $5.00
Smile of satisfaction on D.W.'s face. PRICELESS

here are a couple of pictures

grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote