View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You may have some screws break when trying to remove them, but, unless you have been running in very corrosive areas, say with salted roads, most should come out. When I had to repair a leaky gray tank, I had the entire front belly coroplast removed, and when I put it back on, I had a sufficient amount of new screws and washers to replace all of them, and did not use stainless screws either. I also installed additional braces, not so much to support the coroplast, but to support the tanks. I used 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" angle iron from a hardware store and attached them with the same screws. You could also, prior to replacing a screw in an existing hole, add some anti seize compound to the screw threads, and if installing a new screw in a new position, install the screw, then back it out and apply the compound. Prior to installing the extra braces, and after cutting them and drilling holes for the screws, I painted them with a good spray paint designed to prevent rust. I used my heavy duty battery powered drill with a nut driver for this work. A light duty drill may not have enough power. It may help to drill a hole slightly smaller than what the drill bit pilot part of the screw would drill, but I found that was not needed. You could also spray the same paint on all the screw heads once the work is complete, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank supports added.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	2475  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote