View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Not sure if it is just my imagination but it appears to me that fuse #9 which is burnt, is jumpered to fuse #13. It is hard to tell what color wire comes off of #9 if there is another besides the jumper (there is a yellow one in the vicinity), and from the pictures it appears there is no wire from #13 that feeds any circuits either.

I would be wondering what load if any was on #9 and #13 to cause #9 to have overheated. I would guess the problem is with loose connections but what circuits are serviced by the burnt connections.

A short to ground as in a staple or such on any of those service wires should cause the fuse to blow, however a loose connection with load on it can greatly overheat and cause what appears to have happened in your fuse panel.

Since at a very minimum the 12V fuse panel must be replaced, it it were me I would label each wire as to it's corresponding fuse location and remove the 12V panel, I would then take a fused (15 amp) wire with alligator clips on it and feed all of the affected wires individually with 12V, if one is shorted it will immediately blow the fuse in your supply wire. This will tell you right away if the problem in the first place is downstream from the panel .

Doing this to all the wires individually will also tell you exactly what they are feeding, provided of course you have all 12V light switches on and have someone identify which lights come on.

Not a fun project or problem but it sure could have been a whole lot worse. Good luck with the repair.

I really like the idea of the fused wire I think I might have a couple floating around in my box of wire connectors. I will definatly be marking all the wires to no way this brain could even think about putting them back by memory.
DAR is offline   Reply With Quote