Thread: Tire Question
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
His trailer has pretty much the same ratings as mine. The 14,000lbs is TOTAL GVWR. With 6,000lbs axles this assumes there's 3,000lbs allowed at each wheel, 6,000lbs at each axle and 12,000lbs max total for both axles. The other 2,000 (or in my case 2,040) is at the pin (on the truck) or the landing legs (when not on the truck). My trailer is underweight at all wheels and about 2,600 at the pin. Either tire will do. Personally, I prefer to give myself more margin and if the price difference is reasonable would go with the stronger tire.

Don't forget that if you change the tire size on a tow vehicle, you might need an appointment to a place that can recalibrate the speedometer and/or computers of your vehicle. I did this recently and it was from 17" wheels to 18" wheels and tires to go with it and the shifting and the ride was all messed up on the way to the prearranged appointment at the Ford dealer for recalibration (they didn't do this at the tire store I used). After recalibration everything was great!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote