View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 03:25 AM   #48
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Update:

I was able to get in on a cancellation and see the shoulder surgeon for a consult on 7/1. He set me up for an EMG (electrodes-nerves) for the next day to check the numbness in my lower arm. This is like a taser jolt, only they drag it out over 45 min while poking you with needles. Fun.

Their preliminary thought was that it was my elbow, not my shoulder, that was causing this. I am not sure on this.

On 7/10, I went in for a CAT Scan. First they had to do a blood draw, then they took me into an operating room and a Dr and a nurse laid me on the operating table and they prepped my shoulder for a dye injection - just like they would have prepped for a surgical procedure - into the joint under an x-ray machine. The only guy missing was the anesthesiologist.

They also attempted to pull any fluid out of the joint to see if there was an infection. They couldn't pull any fluid, which was a good sign.

Then they took me into the CAT scan room and ran the machine over me a few times.

Fun day. Shoulder ached pretty good yesterday, but seems a lot better today.

I am now waiting for the Doc to review the results and then call me in for an appointment. His next regular opening was Aug 21st. This, of course, won't work for either of us - too far away - so he will rearrange his schedule to review the results with me within a few days - probably next week or the following week at the latest.

His main concern and focus right now is the post op complications that I suffered from some of my earlier 4 (3 rt/1 lf) rotator cuff surgeries. I had some sort of infection (sterile) develop. For a rotator cuff surgery that is not good, but for a joint replacement surgery it is devastating, as they may have to re-do the joint replacement.

He even talked about maybe going in arthro and taking a small tissue sample and a small sample of the sutures from the previous operation to check for a certain type of bacteria that the other doctors missed.

He is aware of my timeline and he mentioned that if time becomes an issue, he has a friend in Tampa who is one of the best in the world - along with this guy - who could possibly do the replacement down there after we return to FL in Oct. Don't really want to do this as I really don't want to drive all the way to FL in pain...

I pulled into Walmart in Gaylord last Wed and I saw a Montana sitting in the parking lot. The guy was just getting in. So I naturally drove over and found out it was Roger (Bear Hunter). He had just had a shoulder replacement recently and he said it was much easier than the rotator cuff surgeries. Smaller incision and much easier post op. He said he was only unable to drive for two weeks. His wife said that the Dr told him 4 weeks, though. He was very happy with the results.

Everyone I have talked to has been very pleased with their shoulder replacement. This is good. They all say the pain goes away within a few days. I have lived with this pain (last 6 mos have been the worst) since I separated it back in a college FB game. I am now 56.

So that's were I stand right now. Anxious to get this done.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote