View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Ya'll know my opinion of the "not so EZ lube", but if ya really want to put your faith in it ... so be it. Yes, I know a handful of you on the MOC swear by it, but the majority of users swear at it. Ask any RV tech. Two questions for those of you that swear by the EZ lube ...
question #1 ... if it's such a whizz bang deal, why does Dexter not fill the cavity to start with at their factory? Do they not have faith in their own product?
#2 ... why is it a good idea to push the contaminated used grease out of the rear bearing, mix it with grease in the hub between the bearings, then pump that mix on in to the front bearing?
shovelhead86 ... just in this instance, I'd pull the wheel and check for grease in the drum area. It takes the patience of Jobe, a lot of turning the tire, and preferably warm weather to make this work right. 3/4 of a tube is quite a bit of grease in a small cavity that the spindle takes up most of the room.
And just think, if you like this method of greasing the bearings, in order to do it again the next time, you will have to pump at least that much grease again to push the old grease completely through the hub, past the outer bearing, until the new grease has fully replaced the old grease. All this is assuming the seals haven't failed, and you are confident that the brakes are good. The time it takes to jack up the wheels and spin them while pumping grease could have easily been spent greasing the bearings the old fashioned way, inspecting the brakes and installing new seals, and having the satisfaction knowing you have safe brakes and well greased and adjusted bearings.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote