View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think most GPS do a reasonably good job of getting you to your final destination, when used with a touch of common sense. They CAN lead you astray. I always use google maps on my computer or phone before I head out to new areas to make sure I know where the roads lead and I can anticipate what is ahead. Sometimes I even print out detailed maps before I leave home of any area where multiple turns and highway intersections are expected.

I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips on a laptop (many years ago and it took me to a dead end street with a rocky low water crossing), an older Garmin (wanted me to take a 4x4 back entrance into the Great Sand Dunes NP but I knew better), a newer Garmin (never led me on any bad routes, but wanted some I knew were not the most efficient), the built in GPS in my F350 and the built in GPS in my DW's Expedition. Of all of them, the F350 and the Expy have been the most reliable as far as getting to the final destination in the easiest manner.

I now use them more for the miles to next turn, lane to be in on multiple lane highways approaching turns and/or interchanges (the pictures that pop up look exactly like the actual highway lanes and signs), and estimated time of arrival features, and when nearing a destination and seeking a final address. When on the highway, I typically already know where and how I am going.

Lifetime free map updates is a great feature. I can still get free map updates on my years old Garmins. Wish they were free for my Fords.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote