View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Could you explain why below you said not let it get into the water heater?

We had a discussion here on the old style forum. The hot water heater will not heat the water to the boiling point so bacteria can and will grow in the hot water tank coils. I have always sanitized the hot water system and made sure the zinc anode was clean before reinstalling after winterization.

I also flush out the zinc anode port with a good fill and flush or use the pencil stream nozzle then backfill and get soaked while removing the hose.
You will not believe the amount of sediment that comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
Put 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons of water capacity in your tank. You can pour it into the empty hose and then turn on the water, or if your coach has an external fill spout, use a funnel and pour it in. Fill the tank and then pull the unit around town or to the next campground. Once full though, I run water through all of the lines until I smell bleach. Careful not to let it get into the water heater. I try to let my tank and lines sit overnight. Also, while it is full, turn on the water pump to sanitize those lines as well. Then empty the tank after getting to the next campground and refill. Run lines until the smell of bleach is no longer there.
I have also used sodium dichlor to sanitize it as well. I sanitize mine twice a year. For those who do not like the idea of the heavy metal in bleach, this is your choice. Attached below are the two ways I sanitize my rigs.
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html
uhftx is offline   Reply With Quote