View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Rick. I appreciate your explaining your thoughts, which is exactly what I asked for. A couple of thoughts, if I may.. Even though we are fulltimers we are on the road many days per year. We do stop earlier than we did when vacationing but we still have to stop for lunch, which most of the time we fix in the Montana. We also have to do potty stops, just maybe not as many since we're not on the road as long each day. However, as we get older those stops are more frequent anyhow!

When we are on interstates we stop at rest areas. We have to park with the truckers and find those parking stalls are plenty wide for our slides. When on US highways, we find a big parking lot that is not too busy. However, we very rarely need to open the slides while traveling since we can get to the bathroom and the refrigerator with slides retracted, on ours. We can only get to one kitchen cabinet and drawer so Vicki just puts the things we'll need in that one before we hit the road. If we could not get to the fridge, then we'd have to open that slide enough to get it open. That would be a bit of a pain but, to tell the truth, we spend far more time with slides open than with slides in, even back when we were vacationing and weekending. So, I personally would not be overly concerned with that problem since it's such a small part of our Montana experience. But, I know to some folks this is very important and I respect their rights to have that opinion. That situation then becomes a bigger priority in the buy decision for those folks than it is for us.

It's true we like to do shorter travel days now that we are fulltiming. Unfortunately, there are times when making tracks is a necessity. The longest towing day I've done was a bit over 800 miles. We've done over 500 per day several times. But I still prefer 200-250 when we can.

Thanks for your explanation.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote